Thursday, July 30, 2015

CALHOUN LEGACY DEDICATED TO HIS SLAVE OFFSPRING

Hello, 

CALHOUN LEGACY DEDICATED TO HIS SLAVE OFFSPRING

Please sign the petition to dedicate all public places that are named after John C Calhoun, the 7th Vice President of the United States to his descendants.


Lake Calhoun located in Minneapolis, Minnesota and more than 60 public places: schools, colleges, towns, cities, counties, streets, highways and parks are named after John C. Calhoun. My 3rd great grandfather believed in the institution of slavery, he deemed slavery as a “positive good.” When we honor his legacy, we honor a legacy of injustice and inequality where a person was not human but cattle to be auctioned, purchased and enslaved. 

The positive good that came out of slavery are the descendants of Martha Liza Lee who was the enslaved mistress of John C Calhoun. As a descendant of this union, I would like that all public places that honor John C. Calhoun be dedicated to the offspring of this enslaved union. Please click the below link and sign the petition. 

Click on his name below!

Regards,

Antoinette Lee

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am blown away by this, as we are distantly related. John C. Calhoun was my gggg-grandfather. I agree with you that denial of and eradicating the past neither ameliorates nor solves the horror of black (and Indian) slavery in America. I am proud you would take the Calhoun name and empower yourself with it and encourage others to. And I love the idea that Calhoun named institutions, whether colleges or lakes, can be used to educate past the ignorance.

Unknown said...

Hello, I am doing family research and trying to see if this Martha is a Martha on my tree. There is a william covin with a wife named Nancy and her mother would be Martha Lizzy Lee. If you could help me I'd appreciate it. Thank you!